This post is long overdue (sorry, NJ!) but better late than never, right? I'm also going to profess lameness in that I can't think of 11 bloggers to nominate. So, I'm going to half-ass this the best I can!
I don't know why this is called The Sunshine Award but I like to think it's because the nominating bloggers bring a little sunshine to our corners of the internet. So, my task is to share 11 random facts about myself (let's see if I can come up with something new!), then answer 11 questions posed by my nominating blogger, NJ at A Cookie Before Dinner. Like NJ, I'll also throw in some nice pictures for you to look at.
11 Random Facts About Myself
- I ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches almost every day when I was in middle and high school, for lunch. Before that, it was jelly and cream cheese sandwiches.
- I'm terrible at keeping house and have to work hard to not let my house turn into a total pig sty.
- I'm terrible at multitasking. I can do it but I never do anything well when I try.
- I took independent study English in tenth grade because I didn't want to be in a regular English class.
- The first semester of tenth grade, I studied Zora Neale Hurston and fell in love with Harlem Renaissance literature.
- The second semester of tenth grade, I studied Beat Generation literature.
- I have an entire living room wall (okay, it's a small wall) of Beat Generation-related images, including a giant movie poster for What Happened to Kerouac?, given to me by my stepmother, Wendy, who knows me too well.
- Wendy also gave me a signed, hardcover, first edition of a collection of Ginsberg poems.
- My 11th grade Humanities project was a study of the American Dream theme in... beat generation literature. (Are you sensing a pattern here? An obsession, maybe?)
- I was on the local news when Ginsberg died. I read a poem I wrote about him, at a memorial event held at a local club in Albany. I have no idea where my copy of the poem is now. Wish I did, though!
- I didn't mean to turn this into a Beat-themed list, so here's something different: this one time, What Not To Wear called me after my sister and I submitted each other's names to be on the show. But I wasn't home when they called and my sister told them I couldn't do it. Yes, I still hold a slight grudge. It's my only grudge, really. What does that say about my priorities?
|Micah, accidentally waving to Alice in the pool during her swim lesson.|
NJ's 11 Questions
|Alice and her cousin are best buds.|